Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Day 0010:

   So, this past Saturday (the 24th I believe) I went to the Renaissance Festival with some new-found girl friends. Now something you need to understand about me is that I have the unfortunate habit of not getting along well with most girls. I think we're petty, gossipy, and usually hypocritical. I say 'we' because I either have, or have had in the past, one or more of these traits. The fact that I made four new girl friends since I moved home in March is incredible. They're great girls. The only boy that went with us was my good friend Clayton. He seemed to enjoy the fact that he was the only male...I don't blame him. These new girl friends of mine are very cute on a bad day.
   We all decided previously to dress up. I bought a costume three years ago that I re-wear every year. It's a white off-the-shoulder dress with a dark green corset. Clayton went as a ninja (same time period; different continent). Ali (who is the most petite of our group) was going to go dressed as a fairy. The day of our escapade she changed her mind. Chelsey was going to go with a skirt and tank top, but found black pants and a black corset, an awesome cape, and a gothic looking bracelet and necklace. Needless to say, we looked interesting walking into the gas station on our way there.
   I noticed a few things about this festival as I got there. First of all, there is a wide array of people. People that get super into it, dress up, speak as if they were from that time period, and never once break character until they leave. On the opposite side, we have the people that are a bit too embarrassed to dress up, so they come in regular clothes, and just have fun gawking at other people. There are, of course, people in the 'grey area'. I like to think that I fit into this category. I dress up and thoroughly enjoy the event, but I don't talk differently, and I don't act like I know everything there is to know about the time period...seeing as I don't, I'd just end up making a fool of myself anyway.
   Another thing I noticed, is that for the group of people I first mentioned, events like the Renaissance Festival are some of the only times they can fit into society just the way they are. How sad...that everyone has to go on a smallish vacation just to be accepted. If I had a time machine, I like to think that I would let them use it.
   So, my topic of discussion, is which category do you think you belong in? Why do you think that? This should be good...

Sincerely,
Monotonous Me

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, you pose a great question. Does the 80's count? If so, then I choose to go back to the 80's. The period of the 80's was so much easier for me. I was a kid, but it still was a great era. The music was fun, the movies were groundbreaking and people just seemed more at ease during that time. I had so much fun.

    Thanks for letting me reminisce back to the 80's. :)

    ReplyDelete